This caught my interest for two reasons: it takes place in my hometown, and asks a good question. Who really does vote early?
I find that Ohioans rarely (around where I'm from, at least) know they can vote early. Of those people, very few actually do. Joel Stein of Time magazine decided to conduct his own exit poll of an early voting site in Hamilton County, Ohio. One good point he makes is that this (and only) voting site is held downtown, very close to the infamous Over-the-Rhine, which discourages many voters from going:
"Unfortunately, by law every county has only one early-voting site, and Hamilton County's location is in the middle of the inner city, so even though it's a conservative county, 84% of the people I surveyed voted for Barack Obama."
"...while exit pollsters refuse to reveal their results until voting sites close because they don't want to discourage people from voting, I feel that the sooner we can end this thing the better."
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment