Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fraud. Acorns? Darn liberals.

A big problem in this election is that people don't pay attention. The news that many people get is simple, short, and flawed.
Even when news organizations and TV networks do provide background to a story, many stop listening. They turn the channel, turn the page, or tune it out. So recently, a lot of hype has surrounded the ACORN voter fraud charges. I think this is a big issue -- not as big as it has been played to be -- but important. What is lacking out there in the mainstream news world is a solid explanation why it is important and why it matters to voters.
Instead, I get the feeling that especially where I'm from, people hear keywords and immediately assume. They hear voter fraud, Obama, liberals, and begin rationalizing why McCain is going to win and why Obama is that darn liberal who will cheat to win.

CommonDreams featured an article by Michael Winship that describes the disconnect between the organization and the problem.
"ACORN and election fraud. Hang on. As soon as I can get the alligator that crawled out of my toilet back into the New York City sewers where it belongs, I can turn my attention to this very important topic."
But what really matters is: "This is where the Republican meme kicks in. As they have in past elections (although now louder and more angrily than ever), the GOP has made ACORN the red flag du jour as the party tries to mobilize its conservative base and, allegedly, attempts to suppress the vote and distract attention from accusations of election tampering made against them, too."

No comments: