I'm not kidding.
Time Magazine tends to have odd headlines, but today my eye was caught by this:
"Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator"
"Ever wonder, What would your name be if Sarah Palin was your mother? Well now you can find out!"
If I were born to Sarah Palin, my name would be Lock Pepper Palin.
The debate is coming up, the economy is in crisis, and the first thing many editors think is how to draw eyes to the site. To be fair and not totally critical, it works. And I couldn't tell whether the man who posted this was mocking Palin or glorifying her. By giving trivial issues surrounding her the attention it doesn't deserve, I put him in the "pro-Palin" camp initially, but then I scrolled down and found this:
"Yes, the American people have learned from experience that it's not the content of your resume but the quality of your character that will make you a good president. And with the war in Iraq, the mortgage crisis, the banks going bankrupt, China winning the Olympics, and Gossip Girl on TV, we really need a personality cult more than we need policy. Get our your life insurance, your gun, and your credit card, because we're in for a rocky future."
Why does it take two clicks and a scroll to get there? The one post on the list of headlines of the day that has something poignant to say gets buried. Twice.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment