Thursday, September 18, 2008

Is Biden lucking out?

Time's Election homepage.

Time Magazine's Web site for the past 2 weeks has had a "political guide" showing links to the presidential candidates and (what I can only assume to be) popular topics surrounding the election. However, after Sarah Palin came on the scene, her name slipped its way in there as well. Is it odd, then, that Joe Biden stays off of this list and out of headlines?
Time's list of headlines includes Palin's name twice but no sign of Biden. Newsweek has the same layout- a list of headlines regarding the election. McCain and Obama's names show up three times. No mention of Biden. Not even when the convention was in full swing and his nomination announced was there a huge spike like Palin had.
So I wonder if the press is ignoring him because he's the less exciting of the two characters or because Palin's emergence on the political scene was more dramatic and more recent. But here's the problem with the first claim: he overcame cancer. Yet no stories about that human-interest side of him have caught my eye or sparked dialogue with his views on health care. All in all, though, it's not like the press lacks topics to talk about with Biden.
Another thing: Biden has a lot of slip-ups that people could attack him for. I'm not saying that he should be attacked for every one of them, but I find it odd that the man who is often known for his slip-of-the-tongue hasn't been questioned for any of his recent ones.
The National Review put together an entire catalog of slip-ups by Biden.
He's had a list of gaffes relating to his own running mate ("I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man.").
Then there are the slightly offhanded ones like "You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking."
He's admitted to regretting comments he's said, and yet the focus remains off him and on his Republican counterpart. In the sitcom that the media has made this election into, he could very well be the off-center adolescent with comedic relief, but the press has chosen to ignore him instead. What I keep wondering is: Is he better off this way, safely staying in the dark?

No comments: